Customer Contact privacy notice
Our core data protection obligations and commitments are set out in the council's primary privacy notice.
This notice provides additional privacy information for services provided by, and duties undertaken by, the Contact Centre, when you get in touch with us by telephone, email, an online webform or in person. By providing your details you agree to us recording your details for the purpose of this and any subsequent transactions.
How do we use your data
We collect your personal information for the following purpose(s):
- logging requests for services, or reporting problems to relevant Council departments and the NHS Bury Clinical Commissioning Group
- reporting problems to third parties, for example Metrolink, JC Decaux, Highways Agency, Fire Service and Six Town Housing
- providing advice and guidance on services the Council offers
- providing updates on the progress of outstanding calls
- taking payments for Council services
- processing applications for Blue Badge parking permits
- processing claims for Free School Meals
Categories of personal data
In order to carry out these purposes we collect the following types of information.
- your name
- your address
- your phone and/or email contact details
- your debit card, credit card or bank details, if you are making a payment - this information is only used to complete the payment transaction and is not stored or retained by the Contact Centre
- your date or birth and National Insurance number - if the service you need requires this
- information relating to medical conditions, medication and details of your doctor, if you are applying for a Blue Badge parking permit or have a query relating to a CCG Patient and advice and liaison service
- your NHS number - if you contact us regarding the NHS Bury Clinical Commissioning Group
Legal basis for processing
We collect information under Article 6 of the UK General Data Protection Regulations enabling us to deal effectively with your query.
Marketing purposes: where we have asked and you have consented to receive electronic marketing information about our services (you may withdraw your consent at any time)
Consequences if information is not provided
If you fail to provide certain information when requested, we may be unable to address your query, issue or complaint or any further issues which may arise as a result.
We have a duty to protect the public funds we administer, to prevent fraud and to ensure the information we hold is accurate. To carry out this duty we may share the information we hold about you, where the law allows it, with other sections of the Council, other local authorities, the government and other agencies.
Where we do not directly provide a service, we may need to pass your personal data onto the organisations that do.
Where we get our information
As well as information collected directly from you, we also obtain or receive information from:
- Council Tax records to confirm your address, and eligibility to reduced prices for services - we will ask your permission before we do this
- information held on Council department's data bases - we will ask your permission before we do this if this is personal information about you
- landlords or letting agents
- other members of the public when they report a problem
- anonymous fraud referrals from members of the public
All of the decisions we make about you involve human intervention
We will only retain your personal information for as long as necessary to fulfil the purposes we collected it for, and in accordance with relevant legislation.
|Call type||Retention period|
|Family Information Services||3 years|
|Bury Support Fund||3 years|
|Environmental and Streetscene||3 years|
|Blue Badges||3 years|
|NHS Bury Clinical Commissioning Group||3 years|
|Council Tax||6 years|
|Business rates||6 years|
|Corporate complaints||6 years|
Rights of individuals
- exercising your rights
- contacting our Data Protection Officer
- raising a concern with us, or
- making a complaint to the Information Commissioner
is available in our guide to exercising your rights..
We may update or revise this privacy notice at any time.