Scrap metal dealer licence
New government tax check on licence applications
The government has introduced mandatory tax checks through the Finance Act 2021 to confirm that the applicant is appropriately registered for tax. These new rules will differ depending on whether the licence applicant is new or already licensed.
Applicants and licence holders are advised to contact HMRC, or your accountant should you require any specialist advice around your tax obligations.
A business requires a scrap metal dealer licence if:
- they wholly or partly buy or sell scrap metal (whether or not sold in the form it was bought); or
- they carry on business as a motor salvage operator.
There are two types of scrap metal dealer licence:
- a site licence; or
- a collector's licence.
The licence is valid for three years and permits the licence holder to operate within the boundaries of the borough of Bury. A person may hold more than one licence issued by different local authorities but may not hold both types of licence within one authority.
The site licence authorises the licensee to carry on business at the site(s) identified in the licence. The collector's licence authorises the licensee to carry on business as a mobile collector within the borough of Bury.
How to apply
We will take into consideration any relevant information, in particular:
- Whether the applicant or site manager has been convicted of any relevant offence.
- Whether the applicant or site manager has been the subject of any relevant enforcement action.
- Any previous refusal of an application for the issue or renewal of a scrap metal licence (and the reasons for the refusal).
- Any previous refusal of an application for a relevant environmental permit or registration (and the reasons for the refusal).
- Any previous revocation of a scrap metal licence (and the reasons for the revocation).
- Whether the applicant has demonstrated that there will be in place adequate procedures to ensure that the provisions of this Act are complied with.
- New site licence (for three years) - £747
- Renew a site licence - £655
- Each additional site - £252
- New/renew a mobile collector licence - £479
- Vary a licence (for example, to change the name on the licence) - £120
Complete the application below with the correct fee
What happens next?
We aim to process your application within 28 days of receipt. If your licence has been granted, we will post this out to you.