Problems paying your Council Tax
Let us know if you are finding it difficult to pay your Council Tax. We will always try to come to a reasonable repayment arrangement with you. We can only do this if you contact us, and the sooner you talk to us, the more we are able to do.
We can look at:
- moving your instalment date
- increasing the number of your instalments from 10 to 12, if you haven't already done so - this can reduce the amount you have to pay each month
- making a new payment arrangement
- if you are entitled to Council Tax Support because of your income
- if you have been awarded the correct reductions and discounts.
The following organisations offer free independent money and debt advice
- StepChange Debt Charity - free advice and support when dealing with problem debts
- Money advice service - free and impartial money advice, set up by government
- Citizens Advice Bureau - help you with budgeting and managing your money. They also run a weekly drop in session at the council offices at 7 Whittaker Street, Radcliffe, M26 2TD on Wednesdays between 9.30am and 12.30pm
We are committed to collecting the Council Tax to ensure that the money is used for the benefit of all residents of the borough. If you do not pay your Council Tax, we will have to take further action to recover the money you owe. Our recovery policy lists all the steps we will take, together with the costs these will incur.