Disagree with your business rates

Rateable values

If you believe that the rateable value for your business is incorrect, then you can appeal against it. Rateable values are set by the Valuation Office Agency, and appeals should be made directly to them. Before you make an appeal you can check how your rateable value has been worked out, see the rateable values of similar properties and discuss your case with the Valuation Office Agency.

Check and appeal against your rateable value

Completion notice appeals

A completion notice is served when we believe that a new property has been finished and should start to be charged business rates. If you disagree with your completion notice you can appeal to the Valuation Office Agency.

Appeal against your completion notice 

Other issues

If you have been billed for business rates and you:

  • don't think you should be responsible for paying the bill
  • believe the dates you have been billed for are wrong
  • feel that that you have not been awarded the correct relief or exemption

Contact us to let us know

Rating advisors

You do not have to be represented in discussions about rateable values or your business rates bill. You can make an appeal against a rateable value yourself free of charge. If you do wish to be represented the RICS - Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors and the Institute of Revenues Rating and Valuation are qualified and regulated by rules of professional conduct to protect the public. Before employing a rating advisor check that they have the necessary knowledge and expertise as well as the appropriate indemnity insurance. You may be charged for any advice you get from a rating surveyor.

Contact for Business Rates