Problems paying your business rates
Let us know if you are finding it difficult to pay your business rates. We will always try to come to a reasonable repayment arrangement with you. We can only do this if you contact us, and the sooner you talk to us, the more we are able to do.
We can look at:
- moving your instalment date
- increasing the number of your instalments from 10 to 12, if you haven't already done so - this can reduce the amount you have to pay each month
- making a new payment arrangement
- if you have been awarded the correct reliefs and exemptions
The following organisations offer free independent debt advice.
- Business Debtline - a national charity which provides free, confidential and independent financial advice
- Access to Finance North West - provides free investment and brokerage to loan and grant funding solutions. Support is also available with financial planning such as budgeting, developing a financial strategy and completing financial forecasts
- StepChange debt charity - free advice and support when dealing with problem debts
- Citizens Advice Bureau - help you with budgeting and managing your money. They also run a weekly drop in session at the council offices at 7 Whittaker Street, Radcliffe, M26 2TD on Wednesdays between 9.30am to 12.30pm
We are committed to collecting business rates to ensure that the money is used for the benefit of all residents of the borough. If you do not pay your business rates, we will have to take further action to recover the money you owe. Our recovery policy lists all the steps we will take, together with the costs these will incur.