Apply for council housing
Information and guidance for the housing application
It is important that you read the information below before starting your application. Please note, if your application is incomplete it will be rejected and you will be asked to submit a new application.
How long will I have to wait for a property?
There are a limited number of council properties becoming available each week. In April 2020 we had 1,493 households on the waiting list. These households have so far already been waiting on average:
- 1 bed property - 351 days
- 2 bed property - 415 days
- 3 bed property - 560 days
- 4 bed property - 441 days
- 5 bed property - 416 days
What will I need before I start my housing application?
- Your National Insurance Number, if you do not have this you can contact the National Insurance Application Line on 0345 6000643
- Your addresses (including postcodes) for the last 5 years
- Your due date, if you are pregnant
- Your immigration status
- Your probation officer's name and address, if you have one
- Your landlord's contact details, if you have one
- What benefits you receive, if any
- The names and dates of birth of everyone who currently lives with you, and everyone that will be moving with you
- If you have a medical condition you want us to take into account, we will need to know the name and address of anyone you receive medical assistance from (e.g. GP, Social Worker). You can download a list of excluded medical conditions below.
- If your application is successful you will need access to an email address to bid for properties. You can get help creating your own email address. If you can not access an email address then please contact us.
What happens once I have completed my application?
- Applications may take up to 4 weeks to be processed
- We will contact you to advise if your application has been successful and what steps you then need to take.
What if I am homeless or threatened with homelessness?
If you indicate on your application you are homeless or threatened with homelessness you will be asked to contact the Housing Assessment Team, if you haven't already done so, before your application is processed any further.
Anything else I need to know?
- Some questions must be answered, these are called mandatory fields and have a star next to them. You will not be able to proceed if you do not answer these questions.
- The application will 'time out' and you will lose any information entered if you do not complete the page you are on within 20 minutes.
- Please do not press F5, backspace or refresh the page as you will lose any information entered.
What evidence will I need to support my successful application?
- Identification for you and everyone moving with you e.g. passports, driving licence with photographs, birth certificates etc.
- Proof of address for all those moving with you who are over 16 - e.g. tenancy agreement, utility bills, council tax bill, benefits statements etc.
- Proof of address for all those living with you but not moving with you who are over 16 - e.g. tenancy agreement, utility bills, council tax bill, benefits statements etc.
- If you are subject to immigration control we will need to see your visa
- Proof of pregnancy - e.g. your MATB1 or other official medical documents which confirm your due date
- Proof that you are in the armed forces and need to move because of injury sustained in service
- Proof that you are a bereaved spouse/civil partner of a member of Armed Forces leaving services family accommodation
- Proof that you are a serving of former member of the reserve forces who needs to move because of injury sustained in service
- Proof of employment in the borough
- A signed letter from a close family member confirming their relationship to you and proof of their address - e.g. tenancy agreement, utility bills, council tax bill, benefits statements etc.
If you have any problems using the housing application then please contact us.