Skip to main content

For most people, the deadline for applying to the EU Settlement Scheme was 30th June 2021. For further information, please visit the EU Settlement Scheme on GOV.UK.

The EU Settlement Scheme allows you and your family members to get the immigration status you need to continue to live, work and study in the UK. This status means you can continue to be eligible for:

  • public services, such as healthcare and schools
  • public funds and pensions
  • British citizenship, if you meet the requirements and want to apply.

European Economic Area (EEA) and Swiss citizens, as well as their non-EU family members, need to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme. Even if you have lived in the UK for many years or you have a UK permanent residence document you still need to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme. You do not need to apply if you have indefinite leave to remain or enter, but you can if you want to.

Non-EU family members living in the UK by 31st December 2020 also need to apply to the scheme. Close family members who are not living in the UK by 31st December 2020 will be able to join their EU family member in the UK at any point in the future, as long as the relationship still exists.

The verification process

EU, EEA and Swiss citizens will need to complete the GOV.UK identity verification as part of the application process. This is known as the EU Exit ID Document Check.

Changes to voluntary returns eligibility

From 1st January 2021, an EEA national who contacts the Voluntary Returns Service (VRS) for assistance to return to their country of origin and who is without status or leave in the UK will be eligible for the service.

Depending on their circumstances and immigration history, the VRS may be able to arrange and pay for their flight home and they may be eligible for financial support in their home country.

VRS can provide practical support; from providing access to a passport or emergency travel document, purchasing flight tickets or help arrange a complex return with financial support for those who are eligible. Applicants can apply: