Skip to main content

Your Council Tax could be reduced if someone who lives with you is:

  • over 18 years old
  • is a full time student at college or university, or
  • is a student nurse.

Student discount eligibility

To be eligible for a reduction to your Council Tax, a student attending a full time course must meet all of the following:

  • their course is for a minimum of one academic or calendar year
  • attend a minimum of 24 weeks in a year
  • spend a minimum of 21 hours of study, tuition or work experience per week
  • enrolled with an educational establishment such as a University or College, including a theological college.

Student nurse discount eligibility

To be eligible for a Council Tax reduction, a full time student nurse must meet both of the following:

Please note that a discount is not available for nurses who are already on the Nursing Register and are taking additional courses.

Part time students are not eligible for a discount, but they might be eligible for Council Tax Support if the whole household is on a low income.

Discount rates and how to apply

The amount your Council Tax could be reduced will depend on who lives in your property and their circumstances. If someone in your household qualifies for a different discount, you may also receive a reduction or an exemption.

Household circumstance Reduction rate
All resident adults are students or student nurses 100 percent
Two or more resident adults and all qualify for a discount, but only one is a student or student nurse 50 percent or 100 percent, depending on discount type
Two resident adults, where one is a student or student nurse 25 percent
Three resident adults, with two qualifying for a discount either from being a student or any other type of discount 25 percent
Three or more resident adults, with one qualifying for a discount for being a student or student nurse No discount

The person responsible for paying Council Tax, or someone on their behalf, can apply for this discount.

When applying, you will need to upload your student certificate from your college or university. If you are a student of Bolton University, you won't need to upload a student certificate as part of your application.

If more than one student is resident, an application should be made for each person.

We aim to process applications within 20 working days.

If your application is successful, we'll send you a revised Council Tax bill. If you are unsuccessful, we'll explain the discount will not be awarded.