Skip to main content

Since 1st April 2018, people under 25 years old and leaving care do not have to pay Council Tax. 

To qualify for this discount, you must:

  • be under 25 years of age
  • have a Council Tax bill from Bury Council and show your name
  • have been in care, with any local authority, on your 16th birthday
  • have been in care for at least 13 weeks since your 14th birthday.

It doesn't matter if you didn't live in the Bury borough when you were in care.

Your Council Tax bill must include your name, even if it shows the names of anyone else who lives with you. Even if you live in a shared house and the landlord is responsible for Council Tax, the bill should have your name on it.

If your name is not on your Council Tax bill, we cannot award a discount. 

Apply for care leaver discount

Sometimes we'll be able to award the discount because we already have proof that a care leaver is registered for Council Tax. If the discount does not show on your bill and you think you are entitled to it, please complete an application.