Skip to main content

If you believe your Business Rates bill is incorrect, you can submit an appeal. There are different ways to appeal, depending on which part of the Business Rates calculation you disagree with.

You should contact us if you've received a Business Rates bill and you:

  • don't think you're responsible for paying the bill
  • believe the billing dates are wrong
  • believe you've not been awarded the correct relief or exemption.

You should continue to pay your Business Rates even during if you're making an appeal.

If you have any difficulty in keeping up payments, please get in touch with us.

Appeal the rateable value

The rateable value of business premises are set by the Valuation Office Agency and appeals should be made to them. Before making an appeal, we recommend:

  • checking how your rateable value has been worked out
  • checking the rateable value of similar properties
  • discussing your case with the Valuation Office Agency.

If you believe your rateable value is incorrect, you should submit an appeal directly with them using the GOV.UK website.

Appeal a completion notice

A completion notice is a document that notes a completion date of when a business premises will become rateable. 

If you have been served with a completion notice and you disagree with it, you should submit an appeal with the Valuation Tribunal Service.

Rating advisors

You do not have to be represented when discussing your rateable value or Business Rates bill.

If you'd prefer to be represented, there are qualified and regulated organisations that help protect the public, such as:

Before employing a rating advisor, we recommend you check that they have the knowledge, expertise and appropriate indemnity insurance. Please be aware that you might be charged for any advice you receive from a rating advisor.