Skip to main content

Universal Credit helps with living costs for working age people who are:

  • unemployed and looking for work
  • unable to work due to sickness or disability
  • in work and on a low wage

The amount of Universal Credit depends on your age, the number of people living with you, and the number of children in your household.

Universal Credit also helps pay your rent. If you get Housing Benefit from us at the moment and you claim Universal Credit, then your Housing Benefit claim will stop.

The Department for Work and Pensions pays Universal Credit. You will need to apply online and then visit your local Jobcentre to complete your claim.

Before you go

Universal Credit does not include help towards paying your Council Tax. If you have a low income, you may be able to get Council Tax Support to help with your Council Tax bill. If you are already getting Council Tax Support there is no need to make a new claim.

If you don't have time to claim Council Tax Support now, let us know you're interested by completing the form below. If you make a full claim within one month, we will backdate your claim to when you first contacted us.