Civil partnerships (test)

By law you have to give a notice of your civil partnership. Each person is legally responsible for giving his/her notice of civil partnership, in person, to the Superintendent Registrar of the district in which they have resided, for at least 7 days, prior to giving notice. It is not possible for one party to give both notices. There is a standard fee for this. The law provides for civil partnership to take place in any district and on any day of the week.

The minimum period of notice would be 28 days; the maximum period of notice would be 12 months.

The standard fee for this is £35 and can be paid by card or cash and must be paid when you attend to give your notice.

How to give notice

Book an appointment online to give notice of civil partnership. You will be required to bring with you:

  • The current fee
  • A current passport or birth certificate
  • If you are divorced we will require proof of your divorce (the stamped decree absolute)
  • If you are a widow or widower we will need to see a certified copy of your former spouse's death certificate
  • If you have been through any form of civil partnership in this or any other country proof of how that partnership ended
  • If you have changed your name by deed poll or statutory declaration we will need to see those documents
  • One of the following:
    • A valid driving licence
    • A bank statement (dated within the last month)
    • A utility bill stating your current address (dated within the last three months).

Book an appointment to give notice of civil partnership