Support if you're renting


If your household has a low income and you are struggling with your finances, you may qualify for Benefits.

Rent and council tax extra help

Extra financial help may be available to help towards your rent and Council Tax. See: Discretionary payments.

Six Town Housing Tenants

You can also talk through any support by calling 0161 686 8000 or email or visit Six Town Housing - Contact Us.


There is help and advice available if you are at risk of losing your home. See: Homeless information and advice.

Rights as tenants

For advice contact Shelter via England Shelter or a freephone helpline 0808 800 4444 (8am to 8pm weekdays and 9am to 5pm on weekends).

Housing support for armed forces personnel

See: Housing for armed forces personnel.

Warm spaces

Find a warm welcome across the borough this winter with a whole range of activities. There's a range of activities including debt and money advice in a warm, safe, inviting, and friendly environment. See: The Bury Directory - Warm spaces Bury.

Water bills

There is assistance available from United Utilities with grants to pay off water debt and debt advice. It may also be able to help with white goods. See: United Utilities Trust Fund.