Support for older people


If your household has a low income and you are struggling with your finances, you may qualify for Benefits.

Pension credit

You could be entitled to additional income once you've reached pension age. You may still get Pension Credit, even if you have savings, a private pension or own your home. It can help with energy bills, living costs, council tax, television licence and other costs. See: Independent Age - Pension credit advice.

Could you be entitled to a free TV licence?

Over-75s now have to pay for their TV licence, unless they're getting Pension Credit. See: TV Licensing - Free and reduced fee TV Licences.

Rent and council tax extra help

Extra financial help may be available to help towards your rent and Council Tax: Discretionary payments.

Cold weather payments

A payment by the government's Department for Work and Pensions if the average temperature in your area is recorded as, or forecast to be, zero degrees Celsius or below for 7 consecutive days. See if you are eligible: - Cold weather payment.

Warm Home discount scheme

Help for older people with energy costs in the form of a one-off automatic discount from your electricity bill. The scheme will re-open in November - go to - Warm home discount scheme to check if you qualify.

Winter fuel payments

The government provides winter fuel payments each winter to provide help for older people with their heating bills. The payment is usually £200 for each household. Check if you are entitled at - Winter fuel payment.

Water bills

There is assistance available from United Utilities with grants to pay off water debt and debt advice. It may also be able to help with white goods. See: United Utilities Trust Fund.

Extra support for families

Contact 0161 253 5400 or email your local Community Hub: