Support for families
Free school meals
Check to see if you qualify for Free school meals.
We have allocated £650,000 from the government's Household Support Fund to continue free school meals during the holidays. Your school will be in touch with the arrangements.
If your household has a low income and you are struggling with your finances, you may qualify for Benefits.
Rent and council tax extra help
Extra financial help may be available to help towards your rent and Council Tax. See: Discretionary payments.
Cold weather payments
A payment by the government's Department for Work and Pensions if the average temperature in your area is recorded as, or forecast to be, zero degrees Celsius or below for 7 consecutive days. See if you are eligible: Gov.uk - Cold weather payment.
Find a warm welcome across the borough this winter with a whole range of activities. There's activities for children and social occasions to support for parents and learning and training courses in a warm, safe, inviting, and friendly environment: The Bury Directory - Warm spaces Bury.
Free school or college travel pass
Free education and childcare for 2-year-olds (Early Education and Childcare)
There is help and advice available if you are at risk of losing your home. See: Homeless information and advice.
There is assistance available from United Utilities with grants to pay off water debt and debt advice. It may also be able to help with white goods. See: United Utilities Trust Fund.
Extra support for families
Contact 0161 253 5400 or email your local Community Hub:
- North Community Hub - Elton, North Manor, Tottington, Ramsbottom - email@example.com
- East Community Hub - Bury East, Moorside and Redvales - firstname.lastname@example.org
- West Community Hub - Bury West, Radcliffe East, Radcliffe West, Radcliffe North and Ainsworth - email@example.com
- Whitefield Community Hub - Besses, Pilkington Park and Unsworth - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Prestwich Community Hub - Holyrood, Sedgley and St. Mary's - email@example.com