Council Tax - Energy Bills Rebate
The Council Tax Energy Bills Rebate is intended to help households with higher energy costs.
Energy Bills Rebates of £150 have been paid if, as of 1 April 2022:
- your property was in Council Tax bands A, B, C or D
- your property was in Council Tax band E, but you receive a disability reduction which reduces your Council Tax to that of a band D property.
- your property was exempt from Council Tax because it was solely occupied by:
- people under the age of 18
- people who are severely mentally impaired
- elderly or disabled relatives living in an annex to another property
You will be eligible if you fall into one of the categories above and have no Council Tax to pay due to receiving Council Tax Support or a Council Tax exemption.
Properties which were either unoccupied or were second homes are not eligible for this rebate.
To qualify you must have been resident in the borough on 1 April 2022. If you moved into the borough after this date your rebate should have been paid by the council in whose area you were living on 1 April 2022.
We are making further payments in the following circumstances:
- payments of £150 for households in properties in Council Tax bands F to H, who were also in receipt of a Council Tax disability reduction on 1 April 2022
- payments of £100 for tenants in Houses of Multiple Occupation, who pay for their own utilities
- payments of £24 for households who were in receipt of Council Tax Support on 1 April 2022. These payments are in addition to the £150 issued early in the year.
Rebates have been paid either:
- direct to your bank account - this will show on your bank account statement as BURY MBC followed by a 7 digit number beginning with '2'.
- by a Post Office voucher, which can be redeemed at your local Post Office
Post Office vouchers
You will need to take one of the following items of identification:
- valid UK photo driving licence
- valid passport
- your latest Council Tax bill
- a recent utility bill (gas, electricity, water rates)
- another form of photo ID
If you are unable to go to a Post Office, someone can collect the money on your behalf. They will need to take with them one of the proofs of identity of the payee listed above. All collections by third parties are at the discretion of the Post Office.
If there is a problem with your voucher please let us know.
The Energy Rebate is a grant and does not have to be repaid.
We will not cold call you to request your bank details.
The grant is provided to support all residents of the household.
Payments are made on the assumption that our Council Tax records are correct. If something changed before 1 April 2022, which we were not aware of, we may recover the money we have paid. Tell us if you have moved out of your address..
If a ratepayer provides false information to receive a payment they may be guilty of fraud under the Fraud Act 2006.
This page was updated on 02 December 2022.