Council Tax - Energy Bills Rebate

The Council Tax Energy Bills Rebate is intended to help households with rising energy costs.


You will get an Energy Bills Rebate if, as of 1 April 2022:

  • your property was in Council Tax bands A, B, C or D
  • your property was in Council Tax band E, but you receive a disability reduction which reduces your Council Tax to that of a band D property.
  • your property was exempt from Council Tax because it was solely occupied by:
    • students
    • people under the age of 18
    • people who are severely mentally impaired
    • elderly or disabled relatives living in an annex to another property

You will be eligible if you fall into one of the categories above and have no Council Tax to pay due to receiving Council Tax Support or a Council Tax exemption.

Properties which were either unoccupied or were second homes are not eligible for this rebate.

How will I get my rebate?

If you pay your Council Tax by Direct Debit

We will make a payment of £150 to your bank account if:

  • we have successfully collected a Direct Debit payment for your Council Tax in April 2022, and
  • your bank details pass a verification check

The payment will show on your bank account statement as BURY MBC followed by a 7 digit number beginning with '2'.

What if I pay by Direct Debit and have not yet received a payment?

This could be because:

  • the bank account name was misspelt - these have been corrected and payments will be issued shortly after we successfully collect your next Direct Debit payment
  • the bank account name is different to that on your bill, such as a maiden name or someone else pays for you - we will update this webpage when we are able to send your payment.

We are also aware of small number of accounts where payments have not been issued to households where name of the bill matches the bank account name. In these cases we will be making payments by Post Office voucher.

Payment by Post Office voucher

We will send you a £150 voucher if you:

  • do not pay your Council Tax by Direct Debit
  • have no Council Tax to pay because you receive Council Tax Support or receive a Council Tax exemption

Take your voucher to your local Post Office where they can be:

  • redeemed for cash
  • used to pay your energy bills
  • paid into your bank account - please take your bank card with you

You will need to take one of the following items of identification:

  • valid UK photo driving licence
  • valid passport
  • your latest Council Tax bill
  • a recent utility bill (gas, electricity, water rates)
  • another form of photo ID

If you are unable to go to a Post Office, someone can collect the money on your behalf. They will need to take with them one of the proofs of identity of the payee listed above. All collections by third parties are at the discretion of the Post Office. 

If there is a problem with your voucher please let us know.

Tell us about a problem with your Post Office voucher

Discretionary fund

The government has also announced there will be a discretionary fund for households on a low income who live in properties in Council Tax bands E to H. When the eligibility criteria have been established we will give details on this webpage.

Further information

The Energy Rebate is a grant and does not have to be repaid.

We will not cold call you to request your bank details.

The grant is provided to support all residents of the household.

Payments are made on the assumption that our Council Tax records are correct. If something changed before 1 April 2022, which we were not aware of, we may recover the money we have paid. Tell us if you have moved out of your address..

If a ratepayer provides false information to receive a payment they may be guilty of fraud under the Fraud Act 2006.

This page was updated on 28 September 2022.