What to do if your bin has been missed on collection day
Last updated: Friday 17 December 2021
Due to coronavirus infections and other winter illness affecting our waste crews and wider operational workforce, please be aware that there may be unavoidable delays to scheduled collections at this time.
We are doing everything we can to keep collections on track and if collections are missed to return as soon as possible. Please bear with us at this difficult time.
- What should I do if all the bins in my street have been missed on collection day
- What should I do if only my bin was missed on collection day?
- What should I do if my bin wasn't emptied because it contained the wrong items?
- What should I do if I have extra household waste?
If all the bins in your street haven't been emptied, please leave your bin out so that we can empty it as soon as we can. We will come back the next day or as soon as possible afterwards. Please also check if there is specific advice for the collections missed in your street.
If you sign-up for our bin alerts we can:
- send you email reminders for all your scheduled collections
- update you on when we plan to empty your bin if your collection is delayed or missed
If your bin isn't full and you can manage until it is next due a collection, please return your bin to your property, and put it out by 7am on the next scheduled collection day. Follow this advice if your bin is full.
Missed bin collections must be reported by 1pm the day after your collection was due. You should only report a missed collection if:
- your bin was out by 7am on the right day
- your bin was out in the right place
- your bin lid was fully closed
- your bin only has the correct items in it
Please note: Missed collections must be reported by 1pm the following day. As collection times may vary, please don't report a missed collection before 5pm on the day that it was due.
For missed blue, green and grey bin collections we will post official bags to you for use until your next scheduled collection (for assisted collections only we will return within 5 working days - please make sure we can gain access to your bins at the agreed collection point).
For missed brown bin collections we will return within 5 working days.
Please return your bin to your property, remove the items that shouldn't be in your bin and put it out for emptying on your next scheduled collection day. Check about your bins for more information about what we do and don't want in your bins.
Report a missed bin collection online
Missed collections must be reported by 1pm the following day. As collection times may vary, please don't report a missed collection before 5pm on the day that it was due.
- Report a missed blue bin collection
- Report a missed green bin collection
- Report a missed grey bin collection
- Report a missed brown bin collection
- Residents in Bury and across Greater Manchester can take extra rubbish or recycling to any of the household waste recycling centres. See: Recycle for Greater Manchester - Where's my nearest recycling centre.