Council Tax carers and care workers discount

The Council Tax bill may be reduced for people receiving care where their carer lives with them.

Who is eligible?

There are two types of discount.


All of the following must apply. The carer should be:

  • providing care for at least 35 hours per week on average
  • resident in the same dwelling as the person receiving care
  • providing care for someone who is not their spouse/partner or their child under 18
  • providing care for a person who is entitled to one of the following:
    • Disability Living Allowance care component at the middle or highest rate
    • Personal Independence Payment daily living component at either the standard or enhanced rate
    • Attendance Allowance at any rate
    • Armed Forces Independence Payment
    • Constant Attendance Allowance at the highest rate paid under the industrial injuries or war pension schemes

Care workers

All of the following must apply. The care worker should be:

  • providing care through a connection with a charity or local authority
  • employed to do so for at least 24 hours a week
  • paid no more than £44.00 per week as a care worker
  • resident in the same dwelling as the person receiving care

For both categories the carer or care worker does not have to be in receipt of Carer's Allowance to make a claim.

How much discount could I receive?

It depends on who else lives in the property and their circumstances. If another person qualifies for a different type of discount, you may also receive a reduction or exemption too. Find out what other types of discounts are available at our discounts and exemptions webpages.

Carer and care worker discounts
Household circumstancesCouncil Tax reduction
Two or more adults resident, all of them qualify for a discount including one carer or care worker discount50% discount
Two adults resident and one of them is classed as a carer or care worker25% discount
Three adults resident and two of them qualify for Council Tax discounts, either due to being a carer or care worker or any other type of discount25% discount
Three or more adults resident and only one of them qualifies for a Council Tax discount for being a carer or care workerno discount

How to apply

The person who is liable for Council Tax, or someone on their behalf, should complete the form below.

We will need to see the following evidence, which should be uploaded with the form:

  • proof that the person you are caring for is entitled to an eligible benefit if you are an unpaid carer
  • proof of your earnings if you are a paid care worker

If you are unable to complete the form, or are unable to upload proof of a qualifying benefit, please contact us.

Apply for a carer/care worker discount

What happens next?

We aim to process your application within 20 working days of receipt.

If you qualify for a discount we will send you a revised Council Tax bill. If you are unsuccessful, we will tell you why we have not awarded the discount.