Test and Trace Support Payments for parents and guardians

This page was last updated on 14 January 2022

The Test and Trace Support Payments of £500 are available for eligible parents and guardians who have to take time off work to look after a child who is self-isolating.

Test and Trace Support Payments are intended to help people in low paid work, to compensate for the loss of their wages whilst they self-isolate.

Who is eligible?

You may be eligible if all of the following apply:

  • you are the parent or guardian of a child or young person who is aged 15 or under (or 25 or under with an Education, Health and Care Plan) and normally attends an education or childcare setting
  • your child has been told to self-isolate
  • there are no other appropriate adults in your household available to look after your child
  • you are employed or self-employed
  • you are unable to work from home and will lose income as a result
  • you are in receipt of one of the following qualifying benefits:
    • Universal Credit
    • Working Tax Credit
    • income-based Employment and Support Allowance
    • income-based Job Seeker's Allowance
    • Income Support
    • Housing Benefit
    • Pension Credit

If you have to self-isolate more than once you can apply for a Test and Trace Support Payment each time you have to self-isolate, providing the two periods don't overlap.

Eligibility is limited to one parent or guardian per household for the child or young person's self-isolation period.

Discretionary payments

If you satisfy all of the eligibility criteria apart from receiving a qualifying benefit you may be able to get a discretionary payment.

These are intended to help people who:

  • live in a low income household and will face financial hardship as a result of not being able to work while they are self-isolating - we will take into account the incomes of everyone in the household
  • have no recourse to public funds if they meet criteria above

Who is not eligible

Payments are intended to support people who are unable to work due to self-isolating. You cannot get a payment if you:

  • are in quarantine after travelling abroad - unless you test positive for COVID-19 during your quarantine period
  • continue to receive full wages during the period of your child's self-isolation.

How to apply

Fill out the form below. You must apply and submit all proofs of evidence within 42 days of the start of your child's self-isolation period. You can apply for a discretionary payment using the same form.

You will need to provide the following information. You can attach photos of these documents to the application form. We will be unable to make a payment until we have received these pieces of evidence:

  • proof that your child has to self-isolate - this can be either:
    • your child's 8-digit NHS Test and Trace Account ID, or
    • a communication from your child's school or nursery confirming that they have to self-isolate, or
    • a screenshot of a young person's NHS COVID-19 App notification telling them to self-isolate AND evidence that the young person has an Education, Health and Care Plan
  • your latest statement for the bank account where your payment is to be made to - we can only make a payment to an account in your name
  • proof you are employed, such as a recent pay slip or bank statement
  • proof you are self-employed, such as your latest business bank statement, most recent set of accounts or evidence of self-assessment returns
  • proof that you live in Bury, such as your driver's licence, a utility bill, or bank statement

If you are unable to apply online a friend or family member can claim on your behalf. If you have no access to the internet and no-one to help you please ring us on 0161 253 5858.

Apply for a Test and Trace Support Payment for parents or guardians

What happens next?

We will check with your child's education or care setting to confirm they have been told to self- isolate

When we have verified your claim we aim to make a payment as soon as possible.

Payments are subject to income tax, but not National Insurance contributions.

If your bank account is overdrawn you can ask your bank to use the £500 to pay your bills rather than your overdraft. This is called 'exercising your first right of appropriation'. If you want to do this you must tell your bank that you are expecting a £500 NHS Test and Trace Support Payment, and detail how you would like to spend the money.

Right of appeal

There is no right of appeal against a decision not to award a payment. If you do not receive the test and trace payment it is because you do not meet the criteria.

Due to unprecedented demand for the test and trace payments we cannot enter in to any correspondence or reply to any requests to review our decision.