Christmas Support Payments for wet-led pubs
This page was last updated on 15 December 2020
Grants of £1000 are now available for pubs which predominantly serve alcohol rather than food, and have been severely impacted over the festive season due to Tier 2 and Tier 3 local restrictions. Businesses which have been paid a Local Restrictions Support Grant can also apply for a Christmas Support Payment.
Who is eligible?
Eligible pubs will:
- get less than 50% of their income from food
- be responsible for business rates on the 1st December 2020
- be open to the general public
- allow free entry other than when occasional entertainment is provided
- allow drinking without requiring food to be consumed
- permit drinks to be purchased at a bar
This grant is not available for:
- snack bars
- boarding houses
- sporting venues
- music venues
- festival sites
- exhibition halls
- concert halls
- businesses that are in administration, insolvent or where a striking-off notice has been made
How to apply
Fill in the form below. The closing date for applications is 31 January 2021.
If you have more than one business you will need to make a separate application for each property.
You will need to provide:
- your business rates account number (this can be found on your most recent business rates bill)
- your latest self-employed accounts with an end date no later than the 11 March 2020 (covering a period when trade was not affected by COVID-19)
If your business only started after the 11 March 2020 we will be in touch for further evidence.
European Union laws restrict the amount of state funding businesses can receive. This includes government grants, loans or tax reductions. Christmas Support Payments count towards your state aid allocation.
Whilst the UK left the EU on 31 January 2020 there is a transition period until the end of 2020, while the UK and EU negotiate additional arrangements. The EU state aid rules continue to apply during the transition period.
For businesses eligible for a Local Restrictions Support Grant the state aid limit is:
- €200,000 received over a 3 year period which covers the current financial year, running from April 2020 to March 2021, and the two preceding financial years, plus
- €800,000 received over the period March 2020 to December 2020
Further information about what constitutes state aid can be found at Gov.uk - State Aid guidance.