Town of Culture goes digital
In December 2019 Bury was chosen as the first Greater Manchester Town of Culture, an award based on the UK City of Culture concept which was introduced in 2009.
Sadly, due to the coronavirus pandemic and current restrictions on public gatherings, many of Bury's cultural attractions are currently closed to the public and public events have been postponed.
However, cultural organisations across Bury have come together at this time to ensure that culture and creativity continues, digitally, for all to enjoy.
Bury Art Museum and Sculpture Centre
- Weekly themed art and creative activities through Bury Art Museum, including ideas and themes for creativity and resources to design, print, colour, make and display.
- Take a virtual tour of the latest sculpture centre exhibition - The Pothole (Mark Tanner Sculpture Award National Touring Programme), by Anna Reading.
- Follow the Sketchbook Still Social Digital Social Hub and receive daily prompt words and inspiration from the art collection each day - it's not about creating a masterpiece, it's about giving it a go and having fun.
- The Fusilier Museum has put together their top ten items to see online.
- The Met is one of the host venues for "United We Stream". Every night watch live bands, DJs, singers, performers and cultural leaders entertain, educate and enrich lives. Live everyday from 7pm onwards, with a donations page, where you can watch for free. Just buy a 'virtual ticket' for whatever price you want, to enjoy the channel.
- The Met's resident artist, Professor Jigget is hosting live interactive stories events.
Libraries Connected - access to free online books, magazines, podcast and archive material
- Access thousands of ebooks and emagazines for free from Borrowbox. If you are not currently a member, you can sign up for free online.
- Subscribe to the Bury Library podcast - Dinosaurs Didn't Read on Audioboom
- Visit our new photographic and collections website. You will find thousands of new resources, improved viewing and searching, and over time we'll be adding new collections from the Archives.
- Our Archives & Local History blog is regularly updated showcasing photographic collections of Bury and stories from the archives.
Weekly Rhyme Time and Story Time sessions are available on Bury Libraries Facebook page.
Storybox is a monthly dementia friendly creative session hosted by Bury Art Museum.
Elms Bank Virtual Choir #Keepsinging
Elms Bank virtual choir are releasing 'Ain't No Mountain High Enough' to raise money for NHS Charities Together.
Watch this space for future announcements including:
- A special exhibition based on the experience of local communities during the coronavirus pandemic - information coming soon on how to get involved.