Coronavirus (COVID-19): Important information about bin collections
The coronavirus outbreak is having an impact on household waste collections. This means we are unable to carry out as many bin collections as usual.
- Brown bin collections are cancelled until further notice while we prioritise emptying grey, green and blue bins instead.
- During the coronavirus outbreak food waste can go in your grey bin instead.
If you haven't already done so, please sign-up for email reminders and alerts for all your collections so that we can keep you up-to-date with any changes.
Please bear with us at this time and be assured that over the coming weeks we will be doing everything we can to maintain the service as best we can. In the meantime please follow this advice.
Take extra care when disposing of your waste
Save space in your bins
Saving space in your bins is particularly important at this time. You can help by:
- Squeezing air out of plastic bags
- Flattening or squashing your rubbish and recycling
Help protect our bin crews
During the coronavirus outbreak we ask you to help protect our bin crews by following Public Health England's stay at home guidance for households with possible coronavirus infection:
- Personal waste (such as used tissues) and disposable cleaning cloths can be stored securely within disposable rubbish bags.
- These bags should be placed into another bag, tied securely and kept separate from other waste.
- Put these bags aside for at least 72 hours before putting them in your usual external household waste bin.
Temporary closure of household waste recycling centres
Please be aware that household waste recycling centres throughout Greater Manchester are currently closed until further notice and can't be used for disposal of extra household waste. This is to help protect you and others during the coronavirus outbreak. Updates will be provided at the Recycle for Greater Manchester website.
Go to Recycle for Greater Manchesterfor more advice on managing your household waste during the coronavirus outbreak.