Radcliffe Shop Front Improvement Grant Scheme
Expression of interest
Deadline 5pm Monday 15 April 2019.
Bury Council are offering grant funding for independent retail businesses and premises owners in Radcliffe town centre to help them to improve the external appearance of their premises. If you are planning to open a business in Radcliffe town centre you then you may also be eligible for funding. Funding of up to 80% of the project costs (to a maximum of £8,000) is available. Businesses will be required to pay the remainder of the costs of the project.
The aim of the Radcliffe Shop Front Improvement Scheme is to support business growth and to enhance the appearance of the high street in Radcliffe. Funding is available for the following works
- Improvements to shop fronts and cleaning/decoration of the building front in an appropriate style e.g. cleaning brickwork and general repairs, new shop fronts/ fascia etc.
- Improvements to the external appearance of premises e.g. restoring traditional detailing, joinery, iron work and stonework, removal of redundant or unsightly features
- New and/or replacement signage which improves the appearance of the business premises
If your business is located within the eligible area (as shown in the map in Section 4) and you are looking to make improvements to your business premises then please complete the online expression of interest form telling us what the project is, proposed costs and likely timescales.
Before you complete this form please read the information below for more details about the scheme.
The closing date for this expression of interest will be 5pm, on 15 April 2019.
Please note: There is limited funding available. Should all the funding be allocated in this first funding round then no more applications will be considered.
We aim to assess all expressions of interest within 2 weeks of the deadline and successful applicants will be invited to complete a full application.
Scheme information and eligibility
Please ensure you check the following information before you submit your form.
- Please ensure your business/property is located within the Eligible Area (click on the map to open large view)
- Grants can only be made to small, independent businesses which have 9 or fewer employees and a turnover of less than £2.8 million. For the purpose of this scheme an independent retailer is defined as a single retail outlet, or a chain of two stores managed and owned by either a Sole Trader, Partnership or Limited Company. Other limitations may also apply.
- Expressions of Interest will not be accepted from hot food takeaways, charity shops, nightclubs, taxis businesses, pawnbrokers and similar money lending businesses but may be considered if they are existing businesses located within the eligible area.
- Where applications are received from premises/business premises under the same ownership then limits may apply to the amount of grant funding that can be made available.
- The scheme cannot fund work that has already been carried out, or is already in progress.
- Any grant offer will be made on the basis all the necessary permissions, legal requirements are in place prior to work commencing.
- Funding does not cover professional fees, planning fees or building regulation inspections.
- All work will need to meet planning and building regulations as well as making a positive impact on the appearance of the town centre.
- All Expressions of Interest will be assessed by a project panel which will include officers from Bury Council Planning and Economic Development teams. The projects that are considered by the panel to have the most positive impact on the town centre, the individual premises concerned and that best meet the scheme objectives will invited to complete a full application form. Further details and full guidance, including terms and conditions will provided at that stage. You may be contacted for further information or to discuss your expression of interest form.
- The diagram below shows the layout of a typical shop front. You may find this diagram useful when describing the improvements you wish to make to your premises and when considering the proportions of any of these improvements.
- The full application process is set out below.
- The decision of the grants panel is final and there will be no appeals.
This diagram shows the typical layout of a shop front and the terms used to describe each element (click on the diagram to open large view).
- Expression of interest (EOI) form submitted
- EOI appraised by Grant Panel (within 10 working days of the EOI closing date)
- Shortlisted applicants invited to complete full application
- Full application Form Submitted (within 28 days of invite to apply)
- Application assessment and decision by Grant Panel
- In-principle offer letter and Funding Agreement issued and signed agreement returned (subject to all required permissions being in place)
- Works commence and undertaken within agreed timescale
- Inspection and approval of completed works (by Bury Council)
- Evidence of expenditure submitted and verified
- Grant paid