Consultation on New Housing Management Arrangements
Information about this consultation is provided below, but please note the consultation period for comments closed on Monday 8 April 2019.
We recently carried out a review of the way in which housing services are delivered by the Council and Six Town Housing. As a result of the recommendations of this review, we propose to enter into a new contract with Six Town Housing for the delivery of housing services to council tenants. We also propose to transfer to Six Town Housing several housing-related services currently provided by the Council. These services are listed below along with details of how you can submit any comments you may have.
The Housing Assessment Service which:
- gives advice and assistance to people who are homeless or at threat of becoming homeless;
- provides temporary accommodation and support for people who are homeless with priority housing needs;
- manages the waiting list and allocates council housing;
- assesses people for council housing adaptations and assistance;
- provides a central access point service for supported housing;
- supports Bury residents with complex needs;
- offers general housing advice.
Note: The Housing Assessment Service carries out a range of statutory responsibilities in accordance with housing legislation and the Homelessness Act.
The Accommodation Team which:
- helps people get access to private rented property;
- supports single homeless people with finding a home, employment and training;
- supports refugees who have come through the Gateway protection programme who are staying in the borough.
The Urban Renewal Service which:
- carries out major adaptations work on private properties to meet residents' needs;
- undertakes improvement schemes to improve the quality of housing and the surrounding area;
- carries out inspections to determine the suitability of accommodation for the purpose of immigration to the UK;
- inspects private rented properties (including houses in multiple occupation) to ensure standards are met and maintained;
- works with home owners and investors to avoid private property being left empty and in disrepair for long periods of time;
- provides energy efficiency advice and information.
The Affordable Housing Scheme which:
- offers a range of low cost housing options to qualifying Bury residents;
- allocates properties to qualifying applicants and facilitates all sales, re-sales, lettings and re-lets of properties on the scheme;
- liaises with developers to ensure that affordable housing is provided on selected sites.
There will be no change to the quality and range of housing services provided, but in the future we plan to place these services together at Six Town Housing, 6 Knowsley Place, Angouleme Way, Bury BL9 0EL. A new Housing Management Agreement has been written to cover these new arrangements.