Tree protection

Tree preservation orders are orders made by a local planning authority which in general make it an offence to cut down, top, lop, uproot, wilfully damage or wilfully destroy a tree without the planning authority's permission.

Local planning authorities have specific powers to protect trees by making tree preservation orders, although the Forestry Commission is responsible for the control of felling generally.

Special provisions also apply to trees within conservation areas designated by local planning authorities.

How to apply for consent to work on trees

For consent to work on trees within a Tree Preservation Order you must submit a planning application via the Planning Portal and it is your responsibility to provide all the reports and documentation needed to support an application.

All applications will need an arboricultural report to support the application.

Submit an application for consent to work on trees

Conservation areas

All trees over 7.5 centimetres in diameter 1.5 metres above the ground are protected. You will need to give us notice if you intend to carry out works to a tree that is this large to enable us to assess if a Tree Preservation Order should be placed on the tree.

Please note: that all applications need to be supported by an arboricultural report from a suitably qualified person.

Location of trees subject to preservation orders

We have plotted all the tree preservation orders in the area on a map. To see them, load up the map and go to "Choose map layers" from the "What would you like to do?" menu. Then select "Tree preservation orders".

View Tree Preservation Orders on a map


Contact for Conservation