Bond scheme - information for landlords renting to housing benefit tenants

If you are a landlord who is interested in letting to tenants who are able to claim an element of housing benefit Bury Council may be able to provide you with a written non-cash damage bond on your behalf. This will cover damage to the property and its contents, fixtures and fittings for which you are responsible during your tenancy. The bond is the equivalent of one calendar months rent and is valid for up to 12 months or the duration of the assured shorthold tenancy.

There are many benefits to this service including:

  • A bond guarantee to cover damage or loss which may occur to your property by the tenant
  • Access to a supply of tenants who are looking for affordable accommodation
  • Support from a dedicated Private Rented Sector Team
  • We will offer to eligible tenants a 12 month bond guarantee
  • We will offer you access to the Private Rented Sector Team Repair Service
  • By accepting a non-cash bond you do not have to put the bond in to a Tenancy Deposit Scheme

Terms and conditions

The bond agreement is subject to specific terms and conditions of which the service provider, the tenant and the landlord will adhere to. The bond is not a transfer of money but a promissory note to reimburse you where a tenant has caused loss or accidental damage to the property.

Potential tenants should not sign for a private rented tenancy before their application to us has been processed and accepted or we will not be able to assist.

The bond guarantee may be extended for a further 12 month period at the request of the landlord and the tenant and at the discretion of the service provider.

To claim against the non-cash bond you would request and complete a bond claim form and provide evidence to support the claim at the end of the tenancy. A claim for damage will be investigated by the Private Rented Bond Service.

Before we issue a Bond guarantee we must make sure that any future accommodation is affordable and suitable for your housing need.

We have the discretion to refuse to issue a bond where we feel this will be detrimental to the service, the landlord or the tenant.

Contact for Customer Contact Centre