Exotic, dangerous or wild animal licence

  Apply for a exotic, dangerous or wild animal licence

About exotic, dangerous or wild animal licences

You require a licence if you want to keep a dangerous wild animal, for example, lemurs, front fanged venomous snakes, ostrich, crocodile, bison. Always check with us whether the exotic species you wish to keep is listed in the Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976.

A brief summary of the licensing conditions

The licence can stipulate a number of conditions to ensure the following.

  • Public safety.
  • The applicant for a licence is fit to hold a licence.
  • Any animal or animals named, will at all times be kept in accommodation which secures that the animal will not escape, is suitable as regards construction, size, temperature, lighting, ventilation drainage and cleanliness and is suitable for the number of animals proposed to be held in the accommodation. The animals named must be supplied with adequate and suitable food, drink and bedding material and they must be visited at suitable intervals.
  • Appropriate steps will at all such times be taken for the protection of any animal concerned in case of fire or other emergency.
  • All reasonable precautions will be taken at all such times to prevent and control the spread of infectious diseases.
  • While any animal concerned is at the premises where it will normally be held, its accommodation is such that it can take appropriate exercise.

The licence does not apply to any animals kept in zoos, circuses, pet shops or in places performing experiments.

Fees and charges

Eligibility criteria

  • Applicants must be over 18 years of age, and not disqualified from keeping any dangerous wild animal.
  • Applicants may keep more than one dangerous wild animal provided they comply with the licence conditions. The licence will specify the species (whether one or more), the number of each proposed to be kept.

Application evaluation process

  • One of our officers and an appointed veterinary surgeon will inspect the premises. The veterinary surgeon will then prepare a report of their findings and submit that to us for our consideration.
  • We will consider the report and reach a decision whether to issue a licence. If the premises are found to be unsatisfactory, the officer will contact the applicant, to outline the details of the refusal and inform the applicant of the appeal procedure.

Contact for Bury Licensing Service