Winter fuel payment

The government provides winter fuel payments each winter to provide help for older people with their heating bills. The payment is usually £200 for each household.

If you are 60, and you normally live in Great Britain, you may be entitled to a payment - whether or not you are receiving any social security benefits.

People aged 80 or over who are entitled to a Winter Fuel Payment usually get an extra payment of up to £100.

You should get your payment automatically, before Christmas, if:

  • you receive State Pension or other social security benefit (except Housing Benefit, Council Tax Benefit, or Child Benefit).
  • you have received a payment in a previous year and your circumstances have not changed.

If you don't fall into these categories, then you should make a claim.

For further information visit: - Winter fuel payment.

To make a claim or get advice you will need to call the Winter Fuel Payments Centre on 0800 731 0160.


Contact for Customer Contact Centre