Warm Home discount scheme
You could get £140 off your electricity bill for winter 2019 to 2020 under the Warm Home discount scheme.
The money is not paid to you - it's a one-off discount on your electricity bill, between September and March.
You may be able to get the discount on your gas bill instead if your supplier provides you with both gas and electricity. Contact your supplier to find out.
The discount will not affect your Cold Weather Payment or Winter Fuel Payment.
There are 2 ways to qualify for the Warm Home discount scheme:
- you get the Guarantee Credit element of Pension Credit - known as the 'core group'
- you're on a low income and meet your energy supplier's criteria for the scheme - known as the 'broader group'
How you apply for the Warm Home discount scheme depends on how you qualify for the discount.
You can still qualify for the discount if you use a pre-pay or pay-as-you-go electricity meter. Your electricity supplier can tell you how you'll get the discount if you're eligible, for example a voucher you can use to top up your meter.
If you get the Guarantee Credit element of Pension Credit, you qualify for the discount if on 7 July 2019 all of the following applied:
- your energy supplier was part of the scheme
- your name (or your partner's) was on the bill
- you were getting the Guarantee Credit element of Pension Credit (even if you get Savings Credit as well)
How to apply
You'll receive a letter between October and December 2019 telling you how to get the discount if you qualify.
Your letter will say if you need to call a helpline by 28 February 2020 to confirm your details.
Your electricity supplier will apply the discount to your bill by 31 March 2020.
Contact the Warm Home Discount helpline on 0800 731 0214 if you did not get the letter and you think you're eligible for the 'core group'.