Children and young people - library resources
The library service offers the following:
- Borrow up to 8 books on a young person's card
- Computers with free internet access
- Story or Rhyme times for under fives
- DVD loans
- Clubs, events and activities
Whether you are at home or in the library you can access a wide range of online resources using your library card.
There is access to Encyclopedia Britannica.
You can download eBooks and read them on your mobile device.
You can download and read a range of magazines.
Activities and resources for Under 5's
Story / Rhyme Times
Staff read stories from a range of picture books available in the library and combine this with rhymes and singing. Please check your local library for up to date information on when these sessions run.
The Baby Bookstart pack is given by a Health Visitor at your baby's 9 month check, if you do not receive one then ask at your local library.
The Bookstart 'My Treasure Bag of Stories' is given to children over 3 at their nursery or pre-school.
Activities and resources for children aged 5-11
- LEGO Clubs for children are run at several libraries. To find out more please check with your local library.
- Animate is a club for children aged 7-11 where we explore stop-motion animation using the latest tablet technology. Workshops run in libraries across Bury and new sessions start every few months. To find out where and when the next Animate session will be held check the latest library news or sign up to email alerts (please contact us about these). To see animations made by previous groups, visit YouTube - Bury libraries videos.
- The Summer Reading Challenge - read 6 library books of your choice and collect stickers and rewards along the way.
Every child who starts reception class in Bury receives a bag with 2 books in to keep and share at home. If a child does not attend school, but is the correct age, they can get a Booktime pack from Bury Libraries.
Activities and resources for young people aged 11-16
Young people of secondary school age are especially welcome in Bury Libraries. Whether you need somewhere to study or relax, course books or the latest young adult fiction. Computer and internet access are still free of charge and we have access to online resources to help you with your studies.