Join a library
If you apply online, we will contact you to let you know when your card will be available. You must call in and collect your card within 30 days of this notification. On your first visit to the library, your card will be activated and you will receive your unique password. Even if you only wish to use your card to access eBooks, eMagazines etc, you must call in once to collect your card and unique password.
Please note: You must renew your library card once every two years. A member of staff will do this for you when your card is due for renewal.
You can also visit any Bury Council library to join in person. If you visit a library, we will need to see proof of your name and address and you can start borrowing immediately. If you're under 18 a parent or guardian will have to join on your behalf. If you lose your card then please contact your nearest library as soon as possible. There is a charge of £2.00 to replace your card.
When you join Bury Council libraries, you can:
- Borrow items from any Bury Council library
- Return items to any library, i.e. you don't have to return an item to the same library you borrowed it from
- Reserve and renew items online.
- Download free eBooks and eAudiobooks, eMagazines and access a host of online reference resourses
- Access computers and the internet. All our libraries have computers with free internet access and Microsoft Office software.
- Learn in libraries and do online training courses at your local library
Home Delivery Library Service
The Home Delivery Library Service is for people who live in the borough of Bury but cannot get to a library or ask anyone to collect books on their behalf. Please contact your local library or complete the home delivery library service form and a member of staff will contact you with more information.