Bond scheme - information for tenants

Bury Council may be able to provide landlords with a written non-cash damage bond on your behalf. This will cover damage to the property and its contents, fixtures and fittings for which you are responsible during your tenancy. The bond is the equivalent of one calendar months rent and is valid for up to 12 months or the duration of the assured shorthold tenancy.

You may be eligible for a non-cash damage bond if you are:

  • Homeless or threatened with homelessness
  • Over 18 years of age
  • Eligible to claim or are in receipt of full or part housing benefit (Local Housing Allowance)
  • Have a local connection to Bury e.g. live in the area, work in the area, have family in the area or care for someone who lives in the area.

We will consider other special circumstances, for example, if you need to access services or support that are only available within the borough or you are severely or statutory overcrowded.

You will need to complete an application form and attend an appointment to assess your eligibility before a bond is awarded.

Terms and conditions

The bond agreement is subject to specific terms and conditions of which the service provider, the tenant and the landlord will adhere to. The bond is not a transfer of money but a promissory note to reimburse the landlord where a tenant has caused loss or accidental damage to the property.

If you sign for a private rented tenancy before your application to us has been processed and accepted we will not be able to assist you.

The bond guarantee may be extended for a further 12 month period at the request of the landlord and the tenant and at the discretion of the service provider.

To claim against the non-cash bond a landlord would request and complete a bond claim form and provide evidence to support the claim at the end of the tenancy. A claim for damage will be investigated by the Private Rented Bond Service.

Before we issue a Bond guarantee we must make sure that any future accommodation is affordable and suitable for your housing need.

We have the discretion to refuse to issue a bond where we feel this will be detrimental to the service, the landlord or the tenant.

Contact for Homeless Assessment & Support Service