Bury Support Fund

Bury Support Fund replaced the government's Social Fund scheme, for situations when help is not available from anywhere else. This could be because your benefits have been sanctioned for example. We provide food parcels and grants to purchase gas, electricity or goods. There are two types of Support Fund payments.

Crisis payments

These are to provide help for a few days, until you can get money from somewhere else. We can provide essential items needed for the health and wellbeing of you and your family. Normally this means food and money for gas or electricity to enable you to cook and stay warm.

Re-settlement payments

These aim to help people either:

  • resettle into the community, because they are leaving care or prison, or are fleeing domestic violence
  • stay in the community rather than entering care

Normally we are not able help with replacing broken or worn out items. However, there are interest free budgeting loans available from the Department for Work and Pensions.

Who is eligible?

We can consider making an award if you are:

  • aged 18 or over and
  • living in or moving into the borough and
  • receiving, or are expecting to receive, one of the following benefits:
    • Income Support
    • Jobseeker's Allowance (income based)
    • Employment Support Allowance (income related)
    • Universal Credit (if you are out of work)
    • Guaranteed Pension Credit 

If you are waiting for a benefit claim to be dealt with by the Department for Work and Pensions, please contact them on 0345-608-8545 as you may be eligible for a Short Term Benefit Advance.

Make a claim

The Support Fund scheme is discretionary. This means we need you to tell us about your circumstances so we can make a decision if we can help.

Apply to Bury Support Fund

Or you can ring 0161-253-7030 (Monday - Friday, 8.45am - 5.00pm) and we will complete the form on your behalf.

For crisis payments, we will deal with your claim within one working day. Our working hours are Monday to Friday 8.45am to 5.00pm. We will ring you to discuss your circumstances, and let you know our decision. If we are unable to contact you by phone, this will delay your claim.

If you apply for a re-settlement payment, we will make a decision about your claim within 10 working days. You can apply for a re-settlement payment before you move to your new address, and we will make a decision, so you can budget for your move. We will make a payment when you have signed your tenancy and decided on a moving in date.

In the case of re-settlement payments we will allocate a set amount for the things you need. It will then be your responsibility to purchase the items.

Appealing against a decision about the Bury Support Fund

If you do not agree with our decision about your claim, you can ask us to look at it again. We will normally only be able to consider an appeal if you provide additional information which we were not aware of at the time of your original claim.

Appeal against a Bury Support Fund decision


Bury Support Fund