Coronavirus (COVID-19): Local Restrictions Support Grants
This page was last updated on 10 November 2020
Local Restrictions Support Grants provide financial help to businesses required to close during local and national lockdowns. These include businesses which have been required to close from:
- 23 March 2020 due to national restrictions, such as nightclubs. Grant payments are available for these businesses from 1 November and cannot be backdated.
- 23 October until 4 November 2020 due to Bury being placed in Local COVID Alert Level: Very High (Tier 3). These include pubs, bars, casinos, adult gaming establishments, betting shops and soft play centres.
- 5 November until 2 December 2020 due to national lockdown restrictions. These include the business affected by the Tier 3 restrictions as well as all non-essential retail, hospitality venues, accommodation, leisure and sports facilities, entertainment venues, personal care facilities, community centres and places of worship.
Who is eligible?
You will be eligible if all of the following apply:
- your business was required to close from either:
- 23 March 2020 because of national restrictions and has not reopened since then, or
- 23 October 2020 due to Local COVID Alert Level Very High (Tier 3 restrictions), or
- 5 November 2020 as a result of national lockdown restrictions
- you were liable for business rates for the premises as at the date the lockdown was imposed
- your business was open as usual before the restrictions and was not in administration
- you are planning to reopen after the lockdown period ends
If your business provides an alternative service during lockdown, such as a restaurant or pub providing takeaway-only meals you will still be eligible as you have been required to close the part of your business that provides its main service.
The level of the grant will depend on the rateable value of your business premises:
|Rateable value||Grants paid per two week period|
|£15,000 or less||£667|
|£15,001and less than £51,000||£1,000|
|£51,000 or greater||£1,500|
You can find the rateable value of your premises on your latest business rates bill, or at Gov.uk - Find your business rates valuation.
How to apply
Fill out the form below.
You will only need to make one application for Local Restrictions Support Grants, from the earliest date your business was required to close. We will make sure that you receive all of the grant payments you are eligible for.
If you have more than one business premises you will need to make a separate application for each property.
You will need to provide
- your business rates account number (this can be found on your most recent business rates bill)
- a copy of the latest statement for your bank account showing the name of your business or the business rates payer
What happens next?
We will use the information you provide to determine eligibility for future grants if lockdown restrictions remain in place after 2 December 2020.
State Aid restrictions
European Union laws restrict the amount of state funding businesses can receive. This includes government grants, loans or tax reductions. Local Restrictions Support Grants count towards your state aid allocation.
Whilst the UK left the EU on 31 January 2020 there is a transition period until the end of 2020, while the UK and EU negotiate additional arrangements. The EU state aid rules continue to apply during the transition period.
For businesses eligible for a Local Restrictions Support Grant the state aid limit is:
- €200,000 received over a 3 year period which covers the current financial year, running from April 2020 to March 2021, and the two preceding financial years, plus
- €800,000 received over the period March 2020 to December 2020
Further information about what constitutes state aid can be found at Gov.uk - State Aid guidance.