Bury Support Fund

We provide food parcels and grants to pay for gas, electricity or goods. There are two types of Support Fund payments.

Crisis payments

These can help for a few days, if you can't get money from anywhere else. This may be because:

  • there has been a delay in your benefit payment
  • your benefit has been stopped
  • you are challenging a benefit decision

You can get essential items for the health and wellbeing of you and your family, such as food and money for gas or electricity.

Re-settlement payments

These are to help people:

  • resettle into the community, because they are leaving care, supported accommodation or prison, or are fleeing domestic violence
  • stay in the community rather than entering care

Who is eligible?

Support Fund payments are discretionary. This means that even if you are eligible to apply, we may not be able to pay you any money. 

You may be able to get an award if all of the following apply. You are:

  • aged 18 or over
  • living in borough or moving into the area because you are fleeing domestic violence or because you have a connection with the borough such as family members living here
  • getting, or are expecting to get:
    • Income Support
    • Jobseeker's Allowance (income based)
    • Employment Support Allowance (income related)
    • Universal Credit (if you are in or out of work)
    • Guaranteed Pension Credit 

You won't be able to get a Support Fund payment if:

Make a claim

You can claim online:

Apply to Bury Support Fund

Or you can call 0161-253-7030 (Monday - Friday, 8.45am - 5pm).

We will try to deal with crisis payment claims within one working day. Our working hours are Monday to Friday 8.45am to 5pm. We will ring you to discuss your claim, and let you know our decision. When we ring you, it will show as an 'unknown' number. If we cannot contact you by phone, this will delay your claim.

We will try to deal with re-settlement payment claims within 10 working days. You can apply for a re-settlement payment before you move to your new address, and we will make a decision, so you can budget for your move. We will make a payment when you have signed your tenancy and decided on a moving in date.

If you don't agree with our decision

We can look at your claim again. We can only do this if you give us new information that we didn't see when we made our original decision.

Appeal against a Bury Support Fund decision


Contact for Bury Support Fund