The manor house at Radcliffe is believed to have been built in the late 11 / early 12 century by Nicholas de Radeclive. The surviving section known as Radcliffe Tower was a rebuild of the earlier manor house, built by James de Radcliffe in 1403. It is a rare example, for this area, of a stone pele tower. The defensive design and construction of the surviving Radcliffe Tower was a reflection of the turbulent times in which James lived and of the wealth of the Radcliffe estate.
The timber hall attached to the Tower was dismantled in the 19 century. Now it survives only as buried archaeological remains. The stone pele tower and the whole of the manorial complex, including the buried timber hall's archaeological remains are designated as a Scheduled Ancient Monument.
A publication entitled 'Radcliffe Tower' is available from Tourist Information Centre, and all local libraries.