Skip Navigation

Benefits for people who are working

You can still claim benefits if you are working

If you work and your wages are low you may still be entitled to housing benefit and council tax support. You can be entitled if you work for an employer or if you are self employed.

If you are already claiming benefit and are starting work

Let us know you are intending to start work.

To continue your claim, either complete the on line form, or download and return the attached change of income form, which can be found at the right hand side of this page.

If you do not want to continue with your claim we still need to hear from you. Just use our change of circumstances e-form to let us know:

  • the date you are starting work
  • that you no longer wish to claim housing benefit and council tax support.

Making a new claim for housing benefit and council tax support if you are already working

You can claim housing benefit and council tax support at any time. The quickest and easiest way to make a new claim is by using the on line claim form.

If you are claiming for the first time please do not use the change of income form as this will not include enough information to process your claim.

Evidence we need to see

If you are working we need to see your most recent wageslips. We usually ask for your last five weekly wageslips or last two monthly ones.

If you are just starting work, or are already employed and your wages have been reduced, we need to see how much your new amount of pay is. Don't delay in making a claim to us until you've received your first wageslip. In the meantime please provide a letter from your employer to confirm how much you will be earning.

If you pay for childcare while you are at work, we can take this into account when we work out your benefit. Child care needs to be provided by a registered child minder, nursery or after school club.

Claiming if you are self employed

If you are self employed we need you to complete a claim form as normal, but we also need you to complete a self employed questionnaire. This tells you what information you need to provide to confirm how much income you are receiving from your business.

If you are considering becoming self employed there's further advice on the Government's website. Please see the offsite links box on the right hand side of this page.

Extra help available when you start work

Extended payments of housing benefit and council tax support.

To make things easier in the first few weeks when you start a new job we may be able to make an extended payment of housing benefit and council tax support.

We can pay your current rate of housing benefit and/or council tax support for 4 extra weeks after you start work if you or your partner were receiving one of the following benefits for six months before you started work:

  • income support
  • jobseeker's allowance
  • incapacity benefit
  • severe disablement allowance
  • employment and support allowance

We will award extended payments automatically if we see you are eligible, but you need to tell us that you are starting work and that your new job will last for five weeks or longer.

Tax credits

If you are working you may be entitled to working tax credit. If you have children, you may also be entitled to child tax credit.

Tax credits are paid by HM Revenues and Customs, and you can find more details about how much you may be entitled to on their website.

Tax credits are taken into account when we work out your housing benefit and council tax support so we need to know how much you receive and if this amount changes.