Skip Navigation

Adult Care Comments and Complaints

At Bury Communities & Wellbeing we are always eager to know how we can make our services better.

Man speaking into a telephone

The following information outlines the ways in which you can give us your views, or complain if you are not satisfied with our services.


We are always pleased to hear from people using our services who want to compliment a particular member of staff or the service they receive. We want to know from users of our services what they consider we do well.

Comments and complaints

We welcome suggestions about how we can improve services. If you are not happy you may want to complain and we will try to resolve your complaint quickly, fairly, confidentially and impartially.

The first step you should take is to contact the member of staff with whom you have been dealing and try to sort out the problem with him or her.If you are still not happy and the matter is not resolved, you should contact the Customer Engagement Manager. You can send your comment or complaints in writing or you can download our form and  post it to the Customer Engagement Manager.

What happens next

We will write to you within 3 working days to acknowledge receipt of your complaint and ask if you would find it helpful to discuss your complaint with a member of the Customer Engagement Pod to discuss how your complaint will be handled.

We will advise you who will investigate your complaint and about time scales for this. We always try to resolve complaints fairly and in the shortest time possible and we will keep you informed if there is a delay in you receiving a response to your complaint.

If you remain dissatisfied with the outcome of your complaint or the way your complaint has been handled you can contact the Local Government Ombudsman and we are happy to provide you with the contact details to do this.

In line with statutory guidance we publish an annual complaints report which contains information about the number and types of complaints received. In order to ensure that complaints which contain safeguarding issues are actioned appropriately, the following procedure has been agreed by the Customer Engagement Manager and the Safeguarding Co-ordinator.

Complaints which involve Safeguarding Adults (Adult Protection)

There are sometimes occasions when a complaint may highlight a possible  safeguarding issue. Bury Council has a zero tolerance approach regarding adult abuse and as such any safeguarding concerns which become apparent through the complaints procedure will be processed through the Safeguarding Adults Protocol.

Such instances will be recorded as a complaint by the Customer Engagement Manager, but will then be referred for safeguarding investigation. If an adult safeguarding investigation is activated then this takes priority and action in relation to the complaint will cease until the safeguarding investigation is complete. The Customer Engagement Manager will inform the complainant in writing in this event. 

Advocacy and Complaints

An advocacy service is available to provide help in making a complaint and to provide ongoing support until it is resolved. If you consider you may benefit from the services of an advocate you should inform the Customer Engagement Manager or Customer Complaint Co-ordinator who may make a referral for you.

For further information click on the links on the right.