Your services

Skip Navigation

Supported and sheltered housing

Sheltered housing overview

Sheltered housing is for people over the age of 60 or younger people with disabilities / high support needs, to help them live independently in their own home and manage their own affairs, for as long as possible.

Sheltered properties are flats or bungalows that are linked to CareLink control centre so that help can be summoned in an emergency at any time of the day or night. Support staff visit residents to check on their well being, help them to maintain their independence and provide information and advice. The benefit of sheltered housing is that it provides support to people in a flexible way, when they need it most. Some residents may need a lot of support and may also have care provided through adult care services, voluntary agencies, family and friends. Other residents may only need help from time to time.

Bury Council has specially designed schemes throughout the borough:

All schemes offer:

  • A visiting Service,
  • 24 hour emergency alarm service,
  • Safe secure environment,
  • Full independence backed by the right amount of support for you,
  • Close working with other support services e.g. Home Care, District Nurse.

In addition some schemes offer:

  • Communal lounge and social activities,
  • Communal laundry,
  • Door entry system,
  • CCTV security,
  • Guest room.

What the Sheltered Housing Home Support Workers do.

We employ sheltered housing Home Support Workers (formerly known as wardens) who visit residents to help maintain their independence. This type of support is different from personal care (e.g. administering medication or giving a bath) which is arranged through Adult Care.

Our support service is available during normal working hours. In the evenings, night-time and at weekends we have staff on duty who can help should there be an emergency.

Our sheltered housing Home Support Workers have small teams of 5 or 6 and have a number of bases across the borough. Their role is to check on resident's well being and help maintain independence in the home.

Our Support staff can give practical help in an emergency and they will do basic shopping and collect urgent prescriptions if there is no one else available to help. However they are not allowed to administer medication.

They can advise about keeping safe and secure in the home and are able to make referrals if an emergency occurs.

The staff team have an excellent knowledge of the range of services Adult Care and other organisation can provide, they can give practical help and advice about how to contact them. They can also give information about social activities, available at sheltered schemes and in the local area.

Some sheltered housing schemes have the use of a community room either on the scheme or nearby. These rooms are used for a variety of social activities and to promote a genuine sense of community. The activities are generally organised by the residents themselves, but sometimes the Home Support Worker will help.

Information is available if required about different religious or cultural activities available locally the sheltered housing Home Support workers can also provide this, including addresses of churches, religious centres and community meeting places.

Accommodation details

Details of the schemes can be downloaded from the right hand side of the page.

Applying for sheltered accommodation

If you wish to apply for sheltered accommodation, you will need to complete a Housing application form. Please see the related page on the right side of the page, this will take you to the housing allocations page. You can apply for housing here.

Support at home overview.

The Support at Home service is a new service provided by Adult Care services. The aim of the service is to support older people to continue living independently in their own home. The service is essentially a preventative service which can help reduce isolation through regular visits and contact with service users.

The service provides a regular visit and / or telephone calls to check service users well being and ensure they receive the necessary support from statutory bodies and relatives, for example, home carers, meals on wheels, doctor, and district nurse. They also help when required in obtaining financial entitlements, such as rent rebates and income support and with other forms such as transfer applications and housing benefits forms. They also offer a 'listening ear' to talk through any worries or problems they may have.

Service users can benefit from the following:-

  • Help in setting up and maintaining their tenancy,
  • Advice, advocacy and liaison,
  • Help in managing finances and benefit claims,
  • Emotional support, counselling and advice,
  • Help in gaining access to other services,
  • Help in establishing social contacts and activities,
  • Help in establishing personal safety and security,
  • Monitoring general well being,
  • Peer support and befriending,
  • Help finding other accommodation,
  • Help to access community or social alarms,
  • Access to local community organisations,
  • Signposting to specialist agencies,
  • Preventing hospital admissions, by identifying deterioration and alerting sources of help,
  • Preventing early admission into residential care.

The service is available for people who are over the age of 60 or under 60 if there is a disability or high support need.

In addition to this, a CareLink alarm unit will also be provided, enabling clients to request help and support 24hours a day 7 days a week in the event of an emergency.

CareLink alarm service

CareLink is a 24 hour community alarm service provided by Bury Council. The service provides a home safety and personal security system that enables people to live independently within their own homes.

How is Sheltered Housing/ Support to live at home doing?

Adult Care Services undertakes regular consultation with the people that use its services to make sure that the services being provided meets people's needs.