Highway asset management
About the Highway Asset Management Plan
The Highway Asset Management Plan sets out the actions we will take to maintain our highway network while making the best use of available resources.
The plan is made up of three documents:
- Highways Asset Management policy [101kb] - sets out the high-level approach we will take to maintain our highway network.
- Highways Asset Management Plan strategy [346kb] - sets out the policies, standards and methods we will follow to maintain our highway network.
- Highways Asset Management Plan communications policy [112kb] - sets out how we will tell people about how we maintain the highway network.
The Highways Asset Management Plan was approved by Cabinet on 7 September 2016.
About our highway network
Our highway network is made up of:
- 660 kilometres of carriageway
- 1,200 kilometres footway
- 300 kilometres of footpaths
- 228 structures
- 19,000 street lighting columns
- 36,500 road gullies (including drainage)
- 15 kilometres of guardrail, signs and street furniture
The highway network is worth almost £1 billion.