Council Tax Support explained

Council Tax Support is a means tested award, which means we look at your income and capital to work out how much help we provide.

To claim Council Tax Support you need to be responsible for paying Council Tax. You can check how much Council Tax Support you may be eligible for and apply online. 

There are two sets of Council Tax Support rules, one for pensioners and one for working age people. The rules for pensioners apply to any household where either the applicant or their partner is eligible for state pension credit.

The Council Tax Support rules for pensioners are set by the government. The rules for working age people have been written and agreed by Bury Council. A full copy of the working age regulations is published below. In summary the two sets of rules are broadly similar, but they have the following differences.

Maximum amount

From 1 April 2017 all working age households, who receive Council Tax Support, will expected to pay at least 20% of their Council Tax regardless of their income. Pensioner households will be eligible for up to 100% of the Council Tax they are charged.

Council Tax band limit

For working age people the maximum amount of Council Tax Support you can receive is the amount of Council Tax charged for a band B property. For pensioners Council Tax Support can cover up the full amount of your Council Tax bill regardless of the size of your property.

Minimum amount

There is a minimum weekly amount of Council Tax Support for working age people of £1 per week. If you are of working age and you are entitled to less than £1 per week you cannot get Council Tax support. For pensioners any amount of Council Tax Support will be paid, even if it is less than £1 per week.

Protected groups

All working age households are subject to the maximum amount rules.  The following groups of working age applicants are not affected by the Council Tax band limit, and the setting of a minimum amount of Council Tax Support of £1 per week.

  • People who receive one of the following disability benefits:
    • Disability Living Allowance (all care and mobility components)
    • Attendance Allowance (all components)
    • Personal Independence Payments (all components)
    • Employment Support Allowance (Support Related component only)
  • People who have caring responsibilities and receive:
    • Carers Allowance
  • War veterans who are entitled to:
    • War Disablement Pension
    • War Widows/Widowers allowance
    • Armed Forces and Reserve Forces Compensation Scheme
  • Lone parents with a child or children aged under 5
  • Someone who has suffered a bereavement of a partner or child in the last 12 months. This exemption will last for 12 months from the date of the bereavement