Learn to swim safely with Bury Leisure's learn to swim programme
We provide swimming lessons for children and for adults. Children on our learn to swim programme can swim free of charge at our general swimming sessions at all three of our centres, subject to our pool admission policy.
We deliver our Learn to Swim programme at Castle Leisure Centre, Radcliffe Leisure Centre and Ramsbottom Pool and Fitness Centre. All of our swimming instructors are professionally qualified and follow the National Plan for Teaching Swimming developed by the ASA.
- Water skills are taught at all levels, initially through fun activities which will improve your child's water confidence.
- Stroke development is introduced early on to provide a strong foundation on which to build and develop further skills.
- Badges and certificates are awarded for ASA Levels 1-8, plus distance badges alongside the bronze, silver and gold challenges.
- Lessons for non-swimmers are offered at various times, 7 days per week.
- Children that already have some swimming ability can usually slot into a class that is suitable for their skills level.
Check our sports centre prices for the latest cost of children's swimming lessons and courses.
Ducking classes for under 5's
- Daytime lessons for pre-school age.
- Evening/weekend lessons for 3 to 4 year olds in full time education (subject to availability).
Level classes for over 4's (in full time education)
- Evening or weekend lessons.
Check our sports centre prices for the latest cost of adult swimming lessons and courses.
For adults who want to learn to swim or to improve swimming skills we provide swimming lesson courses at Radcliffe Leisure Centre and Castle Leisure Centre. Each course runs for 5 weeks with one 45-minute lesson each week. Classes are given in small groups, usually 6 adults. In partnership with IWIYW we are offering 10 free swimming vouchers to everyone who completes a full course of lessons. One per customer, until stocks last. Terms and conditions apply.
- All courses are run over 10 weeks and lessons are offered on a continuous rolling programme.
- Re-booking of courses takes place during week 8 of the 10 week swimming course.
- You must re-book courses during the re-booking weeks otherwise your place will be offered to another child on the waiting list.
- If you provide us with your e-mail address we can let you know by e-mail when payments for courses are due.
- Payments for courses can be made online, by credit/debit card over the phone, in person by cash, cheque or credit/debit card.
- We are unable to offer refunds or credit for any lessons missed unless a doctor's note is provided with a covering letter.
Every teacher keeps a progress and achievement record for each of their classes. Badges are issued once your child has completed every skill and stroke development within each level. The teacher will hand your child a badge slip for you to take to reception to purchase a badge.
Your child will only progress when we think they are ready to do so. As children learn and master skills at different rates, this will not always be at the end of each course of lessons. Please be aware that the higher levels and challenge badges do take a lot longer to achieve.
For reasons of safety and because it disrupts lessons and the teacher's concentration please do not enter the pool area unless it is absolutely necessary.