Problems paying your Council Tax
If you are finding it difficult to pay your Council Tax tell us about your situation. We will always try to come to a reasonable repayment arrangement with you. We can only do this if you contact us, and the sooner you talk to us, the more we are able to do.
We can look at
- moving your instalment date, so it fits better with your wages
- increasing the number of your instalments from 10 to 12, if you haven't already done so - this can reduce the amount you have to pay each month
- making a new payment arrangement
- seeing if you are entitled to Council Tax Support because of your income
- seeing if you have been awarded the correct reductions and discounts.
The following organisations offer free independent money and debt advice
- StepChange Debt Charity - free advice and support when dealing with problem debts
- Money advice service - free and impartial money advice, set up by government
- Citizens Advice Bureau - help you with budgeting and managing your money. They also run the following weekly drop in sessions on at the council offices at 7 Whittaker Street, Radcliffe, M26 2TD
- Mondays - 9.30am to 12.30pm - debt drop in sessions
- Wednesdays - 9.30am to 12.30pm - drop in sessions for any issues, including debts and money management
We are committed to collecting the Council Tax to ensure that the money is used for the benefit of all residents of the borough. If you do not pay your Council Tax, we will have to take further action to recover the money you owe. Our recovery policy lists all the steps we will take, together with the costs these will incur.