eBooks and eAudiobooks
As a member of Bury Libraries you can download a range of popular eBooks from the Overdrive library service and eAudiobooks from the Borrowbox audiobook collection. If you are already registered to borrow eBooks and/or eAudiobooks you can access these collections directly from the buttons below.
If you are not registered then please follow the instructions below.
Books can be read online or offline in any modern web browser, as well as a range of ePub compatible eBook readers (Kobo, NOOK, Sony). There are also apps for Apple, Android and Windows mobile devices.
How to borrow an eBook
- Go to Bury Libraries eBooks site.
- Find a book you want to borrow, and click on the title or book image.
- From the detail view click the borrow button, you will be asked to sign in.
- Type in your library card number and library password, which should take you to your bookshelf and will give you a number of reading options.
Reading via your web browser
If you choose the read option, the book will open in your web browser and you can read it online. You can add the book to your browser's favourites/bookmarks and you will also be able to read it via your browser when you are not connected to the internet. To read books in your browser you need an up-to-date version of Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, Apple Safari, Internet Explorer. Older versions of Internet Explorer are supported by the Google Chrome Frame Plug in.
Reading on your ePub compatible eBook reader
To read books on a dedicated eBook reader, you need to be able to download the eBook and transfer it to the reader. You have to do this using Adobe Digital Editions software, authorised with an Adobe ID. Once the software is installed and registered on your computer, you can choose to download the eBook and this will become visible as a borrowed book in Adobe Digital Editions. You can then connect your eBook reader, and when it becomes visible you can transfer the eBook across.
Note: Amazon does not support UK library eBook lending, so we are unable to provide eBooks in Kindle eBook format. If you have a Kindle fire you may be able to read eBooks using the Overdrive App or its web browser.
Reading on your Mobile Device
There is an Overdrive App for Android, Apple and Windows mobile devices. In most cases you will also be able to read eBooks via your device's web browser.
To access the audiobooks from Borrowbox you will need a valid Bury Libraries membership number, the one that's on your library card. When you first visit the Borrowbox site, log in with your library card number and PIN/password and you'll be presented with a screen where you'll be invited to add a number of details such as an up to date email address etc. On completing this page you'll then be presented with the following guidance.
How to borrow an eAudiobook
- Search for a book.
- Confirm your choice or reserve a book for download later.
- Download your book. If you've reserved a book you'll get an email telling you when you can download it.
- Move your downloaded book to your media manager on your computer. Either read the book on your computer or transfer to your mobile device to read anywhere, anytime.
- When your loan expires you'll get a reminder to delete it from your computer.
- New books are added frequently so keep checking back for the latest additions.
More help is available within the Borrowbox website.
If you are not a library member then please see our Join a library page.