Bulky household waste collection
If you have furniture you no longer want that is still in good condition you could donate it to a community scheme or charity. To find out more about furniture re-use see Cutting back on waste.
If you have bulky household items that you want to get rid of and that can't be re-used you can arrange a bulky waste collection with us. You can use this service for a wide range of items such as old mattresses, TVs, washing machines, fridges, freezers and carpets. You can book the service online or by phone with our Customer Contact Team.
The cost of a bulky collection
- We charge £30 for up to five items.
- Please note:
- we will collect up to to 5 items per collection;
- some larger items count as more than one item (eg a double wardrobe counts as two items);
- you cannot add extra items after you have booked a collection;
- if you cancel your collection, reduce the number of items or if the items are not available at the time of collection, no refund of payment will be given;
- residents in receipt of Council Tax benefit can request one half-price collection of up to five items per year; discounted collections must be booked with our Customer Contact Centre on 0161 253 5353.
A detailed list of the items we do and do not collect is provided below under the 'Your questions answered' heading.
Your questions answered
How else can I get rid of my bulky items?
If you have a vehicle you can take your bulky items to any household waste and recycling centre across Greater Manchester. Find a household waste recycling centre and check the items it takes.
Are there any bulky items I can't have collected?
- Fitted wardrobes
- Glass items (eg shower screens or florescent sun bed tubes)
- Dismantled garages
- Window frames
- Bagged household waste
Which bulky items will you collect?
From living and dining rooms
- 2 piece suite - a sofa and 1 chair (counts as 2 items)
- 3 piece suite - a sofa and 2 chairs (counts as 3 items)
- Dining suite with up to 6 chairs (counts as 3 items)
- Display unit
- Footstool (pouffe)
- Ironing board
- Kitchen units (not dismantled)
- Vacuum cleaner
From home offices
- Base computer unit and keyboard
- Computer chair
- Computer desk
- Filing cabinet
- PC monitor
- Bath (not cast iron)
- Bathroom suite (counts as 3 items)
- Wash basin/pedestal
- Bed base
- Single bed - bed base, mattress and headboard (counts as 3 items)
- Double bed - bed base, mattress and headboard (counts as 3 items)
- King size bed - bed base, mattress and headboard (counts as 3 items)
- Bedroom cabinet
- Bunk bed or cabin bed - no mattresses (counts as 2 items )
- Dressing table
- Dresser stool
- Wardrobes - double (counts as 2 items)
- Wardrobe - single
- Garden chair
- Garden furniture (per item)
- Garden table with up to 6 chairs (counts as 3 items)
- Garden tools
- Lawn mower
Other miscellaneous items
- Carpet - cut into 6 feet rolls (each roll counts as 1 item)
- Children's toys (each toy counts as 1 item)
- Doors - internal or external
- Ladders - 6 feet max length
- Satellite dish
- Snooker table - 6 feet max length
- Sun bed without tubes (counts as 3 items)
- Sunlamp without tubes