Problems paying your business rates
If you are finding it difficult to pay your business rates tell us about your situation. We will always try to come to a reasonable repayment arrangement with you. We can only do this if you contact us, and the sooner you talk to us, the more we are able to do.
We can look at:
- moving your instalment date
- increasing the number of your instalments from 10 to 12, if you haven't already done so - this can reduce the amount you have to pay each month
- making a new payment arrangement
- if you have been awarded the correct reliefs and exemptions
The following organisations offer free independent debt advice.
- StepChange debt charity - free advice and support when dealing with problem debts
- Citizens Advice - help you with budgeting and managing your money. They also run the following weekly drop in sessions on at the council offices at 7 Whittaker Street, Radcliffe, M26 2TD
- Mondays - 9.30am to 12.30pm - debt drop in sessions
- Wednesdays - 9.30am to 12.30pm - drop in sessions for any issues, including debts and money management
We are committed to collecting business rates to ensure that the money is used for the benefit of all residents of the borough. If you do not pay your business rates, we will have to take further action to recover the money you owe. Our recovery policy lists all the steps we will take, together with the costs these will incur.