Register to vote

Why should I register?

  • The information is required by law
  • If you are not registered, you can not vote in elections.
  • You may find it difficult to get credit, loans, phone contracts, a mortgage or bank account as the register is used by credit reference agencies

How to register

You can only vote if your name is on the register of electors. You only have to register once to be able to vote in all elections and referendums.You can register online: - Register to vote

You can also amend your details, such as spelling mistakes or change of name on this register.

Open register

Open register is a version of the electoral register that's available for anyone to who wants to buy a copy. Every person applying to become registered will be asked if they want their details excluded from the open register. Opting out doesn't affect your right to vote or credit status. You can opt out of the open register at:

Opt out of the Open Register

Postal vote

Anyone can request to vote by post, instead of going to a polling station, providing you appear on the register of electors. If you wish to vote by post you can download the form from

Postal votes are usually sent out a week before election day. You must make sure that your vote arrives back before 10pm on election day for your vote to count. You will not be able to vote in person at the polling station, unless you contact us in writing at least 11 working days prior to any election, to cancel your postal vote.

If anyone tries to help you vote against your will, or force you to give them your postal vote, you should contact the police. If you have any other queries please contact your local electoral registration office, you can get their details from Your Vote Matters

Voting by proxy

A proxy vote means that you appoint someone to vote on your behalf if you are unable to get to the polling station on Election Day, providing you appear on the electoral register.

If you wish to vote by proxy you can download the form:

Overseas voting

If you have moved overseas and still wish to vote in UK Parliamentary Elections you may do so by applying to register as an Overseas Elector. You can register, as an overseas elector for up to 15 years since you became resident abroad. If you wish to do so please contact our office for further details.

You cannot vote in local elections if you are registered to vote as an overseas elector, but at Parliamentary elections you may vote by post or by proxy. Postal votes are often issued a week before polling, you may therefore wish to consider if this gives you enough time to complete and return your form. It may be better to appoint a proxy on your behalf.